At USU, First-Generation Medical Student Draws Strength From Hispanic Roots

Contreras Zarate and family on graduation day from the University of Arizona. (l to r) Mom, sister Lorena, Contreras Zarate, sister Pamela, and dad. (Photo courtesy of Army 2nd Lt. Luis Contreras Zarate)Contreras Zarate and family on graduation day from the University of Arizona. (l to r) Mom, sister Lorena, Contreras Zarate, sister Pamela, and dad. (Photo courtesy of Army 2nd Lt. Luis Contreras Zarate)

By Vivian Mason

“My parents left Mexico and came to the United States with only $13 dollars in their pockets,” says Army 2nd Lt. Luis Contreras Zarate, a fourth-year student at the Uniformed Services University’s School of Medicine. “Hispanic Heritage Month is especially important to me because of [them]. They have always been my biggest role models.” 

His parents knew that it would be difficult for their children to get ahead in Mexico, according to Contreras Zarate, so they came up with a plan to come to the United States. His father would stay in Mexico to make as much money as he could to aid in the family’s transition, and his mother would make her way to the United States first, with Contreras Zarate and his two sisters following shortly after.

“Even though Mexico is a beautiful country with a great culture, they wanted more for their children,” Contreras Zarate says.

Until her husband was able to arrive in America, Contreras Zarate’s mother worked two jobs while a single parent to three children. “I watched my mom work hard for years balancing back-breaking jobs, being a super mom, and trying to assimilate into American culture,” Contreras Zarate recalls. “Through all of this, she and my dad made it all work.”

Contreras Zarate's parents helped their son move to Maryland to begin medical school at USU. (Photo courtesy of Army 2nd Lt. Luis Contreras Zarate)
Contreras Zarate's parents helped their son move to Maryland to begin medical school at USU. (Photo courtesy of Army 2nd Lt. Luis Contreras Zarate)

Once his father did reach the United States, he worked from sunrise to sunset doing various odd jobs such as gardening, painting, and roof repair while putting himself through trade school and community college at night, determined to provide a better life for his children. He would eventually become an HVAC technician. These shining examples of hard work inspired Contreras Zarate to push himself and work diligently to pursue medical school.

“One thing really resonates deeply with me about Hispanic culture and that is the persistence of its people and their compassion, courage, and determination,” he adds, recalling the strength his parents possessed that propelled them to enact their plan. It also showed Contreras Zarate that he didn’t need to come from a privileged background to be successful. He saw that a person with the proper motivation and a strong support system could come from a
challenging background and still do well in life. 

“Even though my parents had very little, they helped their children as much as they could. We also had traditional family values that tied into our lives, like honesty, kindness, responsibility, faith, perseverance, service, integrity, and hard work. My dad helped me financially when I needed assistance with school. There were always family, friends, and neighbors who helped our family in many different ways.

“That’s something the Hispanic community does quite well,” Contreras Zarate continues. “We’ll feed you, we’ll celebrate your achievements, we’ll be there if things don’t go quite right, and we’ll always have your back. That sense of community is very strong and connects me to my roots―family and faith. It also gives me the ability to look at the world through multiple lenses.”

He notes that it took five years to get through the immigration process and become full-fledged American citizens, but “throughout that period [my parents] always stressed education, hard work, opportunity, and doing our best.”

“[My sisters and I] were the first in our family to go to college and get degrees,” Contreras Zarate says. “I was the first in my family to join the military.”


A Better Life

When Contreras Zarate’s parents came to America, they found themselves in a new environment with a new way of life. “It was exciting, but also scary,” he adds. “They left home, started anew, and found success. I guess that’s basically what inspired me to join the military—that same adventurous spirit and wanting a better quality of life. I felt exactly like that when I joined the military.”

Contreras Zarate says that he’s always challenged himself by doing different things, “whether engineering, business, firefighting, sports medicine, or [serving as an] EMT. And with every challenge that I put myself through, I felt myself being pushed closer and closer to medicine and that made me want it more.”

He recalls that not many of his peers pursued an education. Many of them had to return to Mexico, take care of family, or work many jobs. When he joined the military, however, Contreras Zarate recalled seeing a few Hispanic service members in uniform. “There aren’t that many of us right now,” he thought at the time, “but we are here, and it’s slowly getting better.” 

“I drew on all of that resilience, fortitude, and strength while going through my own experiences and my medical school journey. I work hard to honor my parents, family, and community. My success is their success.”


He encountered multiple challenges on his way to becoming a physician, but Contreras Zarate was fortunate enough to have incredibly kind people who helped and guided him. 

Although he had a full scholarship to a civilian medical school, Contreras Zarate says he chose USU because the values of the military heavily aligned with his own.

“I realized that I wanted to study military medicine because of all the core values the Army has. They remind me of my culture. That’s why it’s so attractive to me. Ultimately, what school I chose was because of the alignment of those military values with my own values, and USU fit the bill. Yes, I could have taken the easier route and went to the medical school near my home and had all the perks. But, I wanted more―something I felt that the military could offer me. So, like my parents, I took that leap…that huge jump into a new life.” 

He would eventually become a mentor in his own right, taking great pleasure in talking with other Hispanic students who were considering pursuing medicine as a career. He reveled in their questions and the eagerness with which they sought advice. “Basically, they just wanted me to know that they were inspired by my efforts and felt as if they could do it, too! Talking with them was very rewarding.”

And Contreras Zarate’s advice to those young Hispanic hopefuls looking at a career in medicine? “Be open to opportunities that come your way, and utilize your peers, mentors, colleagues, and personal support system to help you grow and succeed.”

Reflecting back on his journey to medical school, Contreras Zarate notes the perseverance and hard work instilled in him as the driving factors toward becoming a good doctor, with a heavy amount of gratitude as well. 

“My parents inspired me to be proud of my identity and heritage,” he says. “I try my best to represent myself, my family, and my people in an honorable way. I also do that through my education and achievements. When I see myself graduating this May, I’m reminded of the sacrifices my parents made to come to this country. I’m reminded of the many low-paying jobs they had to work, and I’m reminded of family still in Mexico who didn't have the opportunities to do what I’m doing today.”

Concluding, Contreras Zarate says, “I drew on all of that resilience, fortitude, and strength while going through my own experiences and my medical school journey. I work hard to honor my parents, family, and community. My success is their success.”


Army 2nd Lt. Contreras Zarate's (pictured middle) family celebrating together. (Photo courtesy of Army 2nd Lt. Luis Contreras Zarate)
Army 2nd Lt. Contreras Zarate's (pictured middle) family celebrating together. (Photo courtesy of Army 2nd Lt. Luis Contreras Zarate)