Recruiter Spotlight: Alayna Freeman

Bust of Hebert with text over it: Recruiter Spotlight: Q&As with alumni from the school if medicine
The Office of Recruitment and Admissions in the F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine at the Uniformed Services University (USU) offers opportunities for alumni and current students to travel the country and recruit on behalf of “America’s Medical School.” 2d Lt Alayna Freeman, a US Air Force medical student in the Class of 2021, shares her experiences as a recruiter.

Q. What were you doing before you became a student in the School of Medicine? Are there any specific specialties you are interested in pursuing?

A. Before attending USU, I attended Xavier University of Louisiana and Tulane University. During my time at Xavier, I majored in Chemistry, minored in Biology, and took advantage of a host of programs and activities at the university. Those activities included, but were not limited to, Student Government Association, Peer Dean Association, Honda Campus All-Star Challenge, and the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) All-Star Program. It was my experiences at Xavier that grounded me and prepared me to join the Class of 2021 at USU. At Tulane University, I was a cadet in the Air Force Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) program where I served in many capacities, including Cadet Wing Commander. In the future, I plan to serve in the Air Force as a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist.

Alayna stands with a table representing USU
Interested in recruiting? Scroll down for more info.
Q. Where have you recruited for us? What have you enjoyed most?

A. My first USU recruiting experience started at the Atlanta University Center Consortium (AUC), which includes Morehouse College, Spelman College, and Clark Atlanta University. This experience was truly enjoyable because I was able to share my personal journey to medical school with students from my hometown. After this experience, I continued to share this story with students from the Dream It, Be It Conference for High School Girls at Watkins Mill High School in Gaithersburg, MD. I believe the students enjoyed our stories so much that we were invited back to speak to the students a second time. In addition to these experiences, I have recruited at other local high schools, Florida International University, and my alma mater, Xavier University of Louisiana. I enjoyed visiting Xavier the most. The excitement and ambition of the pre-med students never cease to amaze me. I felt proud knowing that I was sharing my journey to medical school with the students and giving back to the university that molded me to be the person I am today.

Q. Do you have a memorable recruiting moment?

A. The most memorable recruiting moment occurred at Florida International University in Miami, FL. Two young men who are active in the Minority Association of Pre-Medical Students (MAPS) approached our table. They shared their interest in USU and inquired about the Student National Medical Association (SNMA), which is the medical school pipeline association to MAPS. I was proud to tell them that membership for SNMA was available at our university. After we made a connection through our organizations, the young men spoke about how excited they were to see our school at the recruitment fair, and they shared their interest in attending our university and serving in the United States military.

Q. Why do you think it's important to volunteer to be a recruiter?

A. I believe volunteering to recruit is important because sharing my journey with students may impact them to not only attend our university, but to also attend our university and make a difference for future students. A connection is the spark that can influence future students to sustain a legacy of recruiting the leaders who care for those in harm’s way.



Our alumni and students are our best ambassadors.
If you are a USU alumnus interested in becoming a recruiter, please complete the
If you are a current student, please email
recruitment@usuhs.edu