Student Perspective: What Inspires You?

Halong Bay, Vietnam, December 18, 2017. My mother’s first time returning to Vietnam. From left to right: 2nd Lt. Sean Scott (fiancé, Class of 2018), Patricia Vu, Ann Nguyen (mother), and Nathalie Vu (younger sister). (Image credit: Bac Vu, father)
By Vivian Mason

U.S. Air Force 2nd Lt. Patricia Vu is a fifth-year MD/PhD student (Class of 2020) at Uniformed Services University’s F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine. Her mother’s life and experiences inspire her every day. At 21 years old, her mother, Ann Nguyen, came to America as a refugee from Vietnam. Patricia has been inspired by her story of strength, bravery, fortitude, resilience, and determination her entire life.

Q. Who inspires you the most?
A. My mother is definitely the number one source of my inspiration because she’s been there from the beginning. She’s worked with me through my personal difficulties. In elementary school, I didn’t do so well. In third grade, I was unable to read and write. There was a time when I thought that I wasn’t very smart. Yet, my mother was there to reassure me and help me through that time. For instance, she helped me with my homework, even though English was her third language (in Vietnam, she spoke Vietnamese and French). When she first came to the United States at age 21, she had to learn to speak English and fully integrate into American life by herself. That’s one of the reasons why she’s my inspiration. When things get hard, I think about all she’s gone through and that helps me. I know that I can do anything.

An old photo of a young man standing in front of a wooden structure
Pulau Bidong, Malaysia, 1979. Patricia Vu’s father Bac Vu. On his seventh
 attempt at freedom,he sustained a gunshot wound to his right arm while 
manning a vessel that was similar in sizeto the one shown. 
He traveled down the Saigon River and out to sea with his family. (Image
credit: Craigh Mills, Red Cross Volunteer, Florida)
Q. How did your mother’s experiences act as a source of inspiration for you?

A. My mother was a refugee. She came to the United States without her mother. She was also entrusted with the care of a younger sister. That’s a lot of responsibility for someone her age. She escaped from Vietnam and had to travel by boat to Malaysia. She had to stay at a refugee camp for six months and then finally made her way to America. My mother’s probably the strongest person I know. So, I try to think of her when I’m feeling down or having a difficult time. It’s so easy to doubt myself in medical school because it gets really hard. Attending medical school and earning a PhD are difficult, but not impossible. I grew up knowing that she did what she had to do in order to survive. It makes me realize in a big way how what she did was so much harder than what I’m doing. Also, I grew up with her always being there for me. However, she had to do things on her own, and she had nothing when she started her life all over again. It’s always in the back of my mind, that story of her strength and bravery, giving me support. But, my dad’s experiences were just as tough. Recently, my sister and I found out that it took him seven attempts to get out of Vietnam. The first time he tried to escape, he was imprisoned in a labor camp for three years. On his fourth attempt, he waited in a forest all night long while being eaten alive by mosquitos for a boat that never came. Their stories are amazing and inspiring, and they keep pushing me forward.

A woman sits holding a baby, another woman stands next to her
Patricia's mom (right) stands with Patricia's grandmother, while
 a young Patricia enjoys food from the festivities.
 (Image credit: Bac Vu, father)
Q. Who or what inspired you to become a doctor?
A. Again, it’s my mom. My mother was more straightforward with her messages and intentions, whereas my dad was a bit more subtle. Her intuitive mentoring and fostering have guided me throughout my life. She sensed my strengths, knew my personality, and imagined a future for me. She steered me more toward medicine and academics. I believe she knew that it fit my nature. Even after telling her that I didn’t think I had it in me to become a doctor because I didn’t really love science, she continued to encourage me. Still, I was thinking of considering other options. Oddly, I took an anthropology class that spiked my interest in the human brain and subsequently, in medicine. So, eventually, I thought I should give medical school a try. I also fell in love with bench research and decided to pursue both medicine and a PhD in Neuroscience.

Q. Taking from your mother’s inspiration, what’s one trait that you get from her?
A. I don’t know how my mom did all that she did. She started her life over in a new country, learned a new language, went to school and worked at the same time, started a career, and raised my sister and me. She’s extremely organized and determined (which helped her earn a BS in Finance and work as a financial analyst). So, I think that’s where I get that from. I prioritize, and I make time for certain things to accomplish what I need to. I’ve grown up to be the woman I am because of all the things she’s gone through. I think about how she’s handled all of the major roadblocks and obstacles in her life and was able to jump over them. It’s a constant source of reassurance for me that things will be okay.


Patrica, her mother, and father pose for a photo in front of the White House
Patricia with mother and father on White House Tour, 2012, 
after herinterview at USU. (Image credit: Hai Tran)
Q. Does medicine inspire you?
A. Yes, it does. As a caregiver, you see selfless acts every day. Often, I’m able to see the resilience in people that shines through as they experience hardship. Being able to be a part of someone’s team in the battle against sickness, disease, and challenges helps to build community strength, and reinforces that we are all in it together.

Q. Do you think inspiration is related to motivation?
A. They’re very hard to tease apart. Most of my motivation comes from my inspiration as a whole. For example, my mom went through all of the challenges in her life, but I have it easy. I was born in California. I was able to finish school uninterrupted, etc. My mother wasn’t allowed to go to college because of the fall of Saigon. The motivation that I draw from her is like a voice inside my head that says I just have to do it. Suck it up and do it. Keep going. If I hit a roadblock, there are always plans B and C. Always have backup plans, and don’t be too disappointed if your first plan didn’t work out.

Q. Where do you look for inspiration to complete a project or assignment?
A. I think setting small goals and then meeting those goals can add that extra inspiration. The way I get through life is by making a checklist of things. It gives me that rush of dopamine when I complete something and check it off the list. It may be an old-fashioned way of keeping track, considering the new technology available, but I like writing things down as reinforcement. It’s all about appreciating the little accomplishments along the way in order to stay motivated. A checklist’s been a huge help with planning my wedding in May. Don’t know how I would have survived without it!