Recruiter Spotlight: Anthony Cox

A bust statue of F Edward Hebert with Recruiter Spotlight, Q&As with alumni from the School of Medicine
The Office of Recruitment and Admissions in the F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine at the Uniformed Services University (USU) offers opportunities for alumni and current students to travel the country and recruit on behalf of “America’s Medical School.” 2LT Anthony Cox, a US Army medical student in the Class of 2020, shares his experiences as a recruiter.

Q. What were you doing before you became a student in the School of Medicine? Are there any specific specialties you are interested in pursuing?

A. Before medical school, I attended West Point where I majored in Life Science. Upon graduating, I came to USU as an Army Second Lieutenant in the Class of 2020. I am still pretty open to all specialties at this point. I start clerkships in January and am excited to experience working within each of the different specialties.

Q. Where have you recruited for us? What have you enjoyed most? 

A. I had the opportunity to help recruit at Howard University this past September. I enjoyed the experience and love interacting with undergraduate students who are considering a career in medicine. I believe that I would not be in medical school today if it weren’t for my family, friends, and teachers telling me that I could do it. In interacting with the students, I made an effort to highlight the fact that they do have what it takes and to continue working hard.


A male in military uniform speaks to three females in civilian attire at a university classroom
2LT Anthony Cox (right) speaks with prospective medical students at Howard University on September 27, 2017. (Image credit: Gustavo Ruiz)

Q. Do you have a memorable recruiting moment?

A. Yes, I talked to a student who had an uncle in the Navy, but had not really considered USU as an option. In our discussion, we agreed that he possessed everything that he needs to both become a military officer and study medicine. At the end of our discussion, he was fired up and looked forward to applying to USU upon completing his undergraduate studies. I really enjoyed that interaction, especially being able to introduce USU as a new option to an undergraduate student.

Q. Why do you think it's important to volunteer to be a recruiter?

A. I believe it is important to volunteer and help recruit when given the opportunity. By interacting with students, I am able to show them that I am human and shared the same fears that they currently experience. Yet through hard work, mentorship, and perseverance, I was able to overcome those fears and ultimately attain many of the goals that they currently aspire to reach. Many students let their fears prevent them from pursuing their goals. I make it an effort to tell them that they do, in fact, have what it takes and to continue believing in themselves. 



Our alumni and students are our best ambassadors.
If you are a USU alumnus interested in becoming a recruiter, please complete the
If you are a current student, please email
recruitment@usuhs.edu