USU Medical Students Celebrate Their Spouses

2LT Joshua Hansen’s wife Aubry and their baby.

By Vivian Mason


May 7th is National Military Spouse Appreciation Day. For many USU medical students, their journey to care for those in harm’s way is only possible because of the love and support they receive from their spouses who stick by through thick and thin.

Established in 1984, then-President Ronald Reagan enacted National Military Spouse Appreciation Day to acknowledge and celebrate the work of military spouses, who often have to deal with their partners being deployed for long periods of time serving the country. Their strength and support can make deployments easier for service members who can trust that everything is going well back home.

Equally strenuous at times, service members may frequently be asked to relocate, asking spouses and children to pick up their lives and start over. National Military Spouse Appreciation Day marks a specific day to recognize the sacrifice that the partners of service members make, but those in the military continue to be appreciative year-round.

In the spirit of National Military Spouse Appreciation Day, The Pulse asked seven USU students to give special shoutouts to those important significant others and express their gratitude for all the support they continue to receive.


2nd Lt. Joshua Hansen, U.S. Army 


“Aubry, thank you for keeping me fed, clothed, and loved. I thank you forever for choosing to be my partner in everything we do.”


How my wife has supported me throughout my military career: Although I have not yet had the experience of deployment, Aubry has nonetheless been both supportive and strong as we have transitioned from civilian to military and relocated to Bethesda. She managed our family and all its affairs while I was in initial training. She made sure to get our daughter and all of our belongings safe and sound to our new home to meet me after being apart for six weeks. 

Gift I’d give her: A trip to the Maldives.

5 ways to show her love and appreciation: Long hugs, “good morning” texts, Saturday breakfasts, classic “Thank Yous” for everything, and “I Love Yous” every single day.

What I love and appreciate the most about her: Too much to count, but the moments when she laughs so hard that she can’t breathe are the ones that I’ll never forget.

What can make our marriage even better: Communication.



Ensign Brian Davis, U.S. Navy


“Josephine, you are the Nutella to my toast and the ice cream to my apple pie. Thank you for all that you do!”


ENS Brian Davis with wife Josephine and kids Preston & Isaiah.
Ensign Brian Davis with wife Josephine and kids
Preston & Isaiah [Image Credit: Courtesy of
Ensign Brian Davis, USU]
How my wife has supported me throughout my military career: Josephine has been a great partner and a wonderfully supportive spouse. During my first deployment, she single-handedly organized a deployed spouses group. Each week, they took turns hosting a dinner for the group and served as a tangible support system. She still remains close to those ladies to this day.

Gifts I’d give her: Flowers, chocolates, and a hundred Target gift cards.

5 ways to show her love and appreciation: Make dinner, clean the kitchen, do the laundry (all of it), plan a fun outing, and write her a love letter.

What I love and appreciate the most about her: Her dedication to making everyone around her better.

What can make our marriage even better: A Disney cruise.



2nd Lt. Janet Brown, U.S. Air Force


“D.J., thank you for making us laugh, keeping our household running, and holding down the fort. Thanks for all of the sacrifices that you make and for being the ultimate partner in life. We are so lucky to have you. We love and appreciate you. Sorry that we make fun of you so much, but not sorry enough to stop.” 


2nd Lt. Janet Brown’s husband D.J. and daughter Jade.
2nd Lt. Janet Brown's husband D.J. and daughter
Jade. [Image credit: Courtesy of 2nd Lt. Janet
Brown, USU]
How my husband has supported me throughout my military career: D.J. has held down the fort, especially this last year when we had to take my daughter out of daycare. He has afforded me the flexibility and unconditional support to pursue my education and serve in the military. 

Gifts I’d give him: A date night because we have not had one in a very long time.  

3 ways to show him love and appreciation: Planning family time together, such as movie nights and day trips, surprising him with little things that remind me of him, and laughing at his dad jokes. 

What I love and appreciate the most about him: My husband is the coolest dad who is willing to do anything for a laugh, especially at his expense. He has worn a wig to dress up as [the character Maui from “Moana”] and tells bedtime stories with the most animated voices. That’s my favorite thing about him. 

What can make our marriage even better: Time. 



Ensign Trevor Elam, U.S. Navy 


“Rachel, a single day of appreciation is hardly enough for all that you do for our family. I hope you feel loved and appreciated every day because that’s what you truly deserve.”


ENS Trevor Elam’s wife Rachel.
Ensign Trevor Elam's wife Rachel. [Image credit:
Courtesy of Ensign Trevor Elam, USU]
How my wife has supported me throughout my military career: We met while we were both active duty enlisted. To fully pursue my goal of becoming a military physician, I had to leave the military for a while in order to fulfill the academic requirements necessary for medical school. Rachel was always an outstanding sailor and was able to convince the detailer to station her in Chicago so that I could do my premed requirements at Northwestern. In exchange, she reenlisted for another 2 years. She supported our family by herself while I finished my premed requirements. If it weren’t for her love, hard work, sacrifice, and support, there’s no way we would be at USU today.

Gifts I’d give her: Everything, if I could, but she’d really love a large pile of old-looking books, preferably in Greek or Latin.  

5 ways to show her love and appreciation: Take her out on a date, spend more time with her, get her a really old book, cook a meal for her, and bring her flowers.

What I love and appreciate the most about her: How much she cares for others.

What can make our marriage even better: If only I could learn to spell well enough not to get corrected daily via text.



2nd Lt. Nicholas Moran, U.S. Army           


“Cori, I want you to know that I appreciate everything you do for me and Theo. I can’t wait to see where life takes us. I hope you feel appreciated every day, but today I hope you are reminded just how much you mean to me and everyone else around you.”


2LT Nicholas Moran’s wife Cori and baby Theo.
2nd Lt. Nicholas Moran's wife Cori and baby Theo.
[Image credit: Courtesy of 2nd Lt. Nicholas Moran, USU]
How my wife has supported me throughout my military career: I’m still a student, so I don’t have a ton of military-specific experience. However, my wife and I were high school sweethearts, and our wedding date was set between the Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC) and the start of medical school. Unfortunately, we had a very short time to plan a wedding, but my wife took on the task. For the reception, she created homemade decorations for the backyard of her grandparents’ home. She even orchestrated travel arrangements for various friends and family who were scattered all over the country. Cori’s hard work pulled our families together to help celebrate our commitment to each other. I love my wife for the hard work and sacrifices she makes every day to put our family above herself.

Gift I’d give her: A full 8 hours of sleep.

5 ways to show her love and appreciation: Help with dinner, buy chocolates, write messages in her birthday and anniversary cards, go for walks, and hold her hand.

What I love and appreciate the most about her: She is the best wife and mother who works day in and day out to care for everyone around her. She helps people be the best they can be.

What can make our marriage even better: This Military Spouse Appreciation Day acknowledgment.



2nd Lt. Jacqueline Jensen, U.S. Air Force


“Kevin, there are no words to describe how grateful I am for your love and support, for everything you have done and continue to do for me, especially the little things that help make every day easier. Thinking back on what we’ve been through the last couple of months and watching you with our new baby, I find myself even more in love with you than before. I’m so lucky to have you. I don’t know what I’d do without you. Thank you for being you and for loving me.” 


2d Lt. Jackie Jensen and husband Kevin.
2nd Lt. Jackie Jensen and husband Kevin. [Image credit: Courtesy of 2nd Lt.
Jacqueline Jensen]
How my husband has supported me throughout my military career: Kevin and I are both military.
He’s a civil engineer who currently works at the Pentagon. I was a prior service logistics officer before coming to USU. He’s been supportive of my military career since before medical school. Being dual military has its challenges, but it also makes it easier to handle the various demands of military life since we both experience it and understand our obligations/duties as military officers. He’s always been someone I could talk to and bounce ideas off of with regards to my military/leadership responsibilities. Kevin’s always supported and encouraged everything I’ve needed to do in my career. He has continued to support me in medical school. 

Gift I’d give him: I would plan a date night for him. 

5 ways to show him love and appreciation: Thank him for all the little things he does for me, help him tidy up the house, cook for him, give him a massage, and plan an outing. 

What I love and appreciate the most about him: Cleaning the house has never been my favorite task, so he takes on that responsibility so I don’t have to. Kevin’s also able to anticipate my needs and fulfill them without me asking. On more than one occasion, he’s prepared breakfast, packed my lunch, and filled my water bottle, even when he’s in a time crunch to get ready for work himself. 

What can make our marriage even better: Not a thing. He’s perfect! 



2nd Lt. James Parry, U.S. Air Force


“Kelyn, thank you for the support and unconditional love on this journey of ours. You bring light, liveliness, and happiness to those around you. I couldn’t have asked for a better partner in life. I love you.”


2d Lt. James Parry’s wife Kelyn.
2nd Lt. James Parry's wife Kelyn. [Image credit:
Courtesy of 2nd Lt. James Parry, USU]
How my wife has supported me throughout my military career: My wife was prior military, so she understands this lifestyle and how to support us. She’s very independent, and I know that I can count on her to pick up the slack when I’m not there. For example, she moved our entire household by herself while I was at COT [Commissioned Officer Training] in the summer prior to the first year. To top it off, she even made the trip to Alabama for graduation.

Gift I’d give her: A million dollars.

5 ways to show her love and appreciation: Give her lots more gifts, watch our favorite movie together, take her out to brunch, acknowledge her accomplishments and hard work, and smother her with plenty of hugs and kisses.

What I love and appreciate the most about her: Kelyn is dedicated to our family, and she’s highly motivated and driven. I love the fact that she can make good out of any situation and doesn’t take herself too seriously. She can make a joke out of anything!

What can make our marriage even better: Our marriage is already great!